My bedroom wall is awash again with honey sunshine.
There’s a nip in the air.
A flimsy veil of post dawn mist cloaks the neighbourhood lake. Waiting eagerly for the annual avian guests to arrive.
The dahlias in my garden have started to bloom. The fragrant frangipani has started to shed its leaves.
Autumn is ready to take a bow.
And winter all set to descend. On hushed tiptoes.
I cook panchmisheli murgi, a rustic chicken curry this morning, an old family favourite, chicken cooked with a melange of vegetables. Some chillies and peppercorn for that pleasant heat. Divine.
Panchmisheli Murgi (Chicken with Mixed Vegetables)
- 500 g chicken curry cut pieces
- 1/4 cups pumpkin cubes
- 1/2 cups potato cubes
- 1/4 cups sweet potato cubes
- 1/2 cups ridgegourd cubes
- 1/2 cups green papaya cubes
- 1/2 cups eggplant cubes
- 2 big onions finely chopped
- 1 tsps garlic paste
- 1 tsps ginger paste
- 5 - 6 green chillies slit
- 10 peppercorn coarsely ground
- 1 tsps turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsps coriander powder
- 4 tbsps mustard oil
- salt to taste
- Marinate the chicken pieces with ginger-garlic paste and little salt. Keep aside for 1-2hrs.
- Heat little oil in a frying pan and fry the eggplant cubes. Keep aside on kitchen absorbent towel.
- Heat the remaining oil, when smoking hot, throw in the chopped onions. Fry till golden brown.
- Add the marinated chicken, saute for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, sweet potatoes, green papaya and pumpkins. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Now add in the turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, green chillies, peppercorn and salt. Give it a hearty stir.
- Cover and cook over a medium flame for another 8-10 minutes. Splash a little water as and when needed if it is getting a bit too dry and threatening to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Now add the ridgegourd, fried eggplants and 3/4th cup of warm water. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook over a medium flame till the vegetables and chicken are tender.
- Adjust seasonings. Serve hot with steamed rice.