For all the hours I spend pottering about in the kitchen, I rarely use the microwave for cooking or baking. Yes, rarely. I have often wondered why. And never really arrived at a convincing answer.
I know friends who have amazed me with finger-licking delicacies they have whipped up using their microwaves.
And inspired by their proud successes, I have made many an honest endeavor. To tame the beast. But the results, while definitely not dismal, have never really managed to make me a convert. (And I have happily reverted to my old-school oven and gas stove.)
Barring one lone exception.
The mug cake.
A ludicrously simple no-fuss cake. Which believe it or not gets baked in less than 2 minutes. In a microwave. Decadent chocolate with a gooey peanut butter center.
My messiah on those nights when I absolutely need my chocolate fix before hitting the sack.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake, Decadent chocolate with a gooey peanut butter center. Baked in under 2 minutes. In a microwave. Ludicrously simple !!!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, castor sugar and baking powder.
- Gently add the milk and oil and whisk well until all the ingredients are combined and the batter had no lumps.
- Pour the batter into a microwave-safe mug. Don't fill the mug right up to the brim as the cake shall rise and you would not want it to spill over !!! (I typically fill a mug to about two-thirds, no more !! Divide the batter into two mugs if required.)
- Now gently push the spoonful of peanut butter into the middle of the mug.
- Microwave for 60 seconds (900 watts, microwave mode). Allow to rest for a further 30 seconds. Serve warm.