It was my husband’s birthday and I was thinking of what cake to bake for this special occasion … When I remembered that he had told me once about a upside down mango cake he had had that he had loved. But January is no-mango season, 🙁 So I came up with this delicious upside down carrot cake, drizzled with honey.
Upside-down carrot cake
- 120 g refined flour
- 100 ml olive oil
- 120 g carrot , peeled and grated finely
- 2 carrots , peeled and cut into thick round slices
- 120 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup raisins , soaked in water
- 1/4 cup almonds , finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cashews , finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg , freshly ground
- 5 tbsps honey
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and ground nutmeg into a bowl and keep aside. Into another bowl break the eggs, drizzle the oil and add the sugar. Whip with an electric blender till smooth. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix lightly with a wooden spatula. Fold in the grated carrots, raisins and nuts.
- Line the base and sides of a circular cake tin with greased baking parchment. Drizzle honey evenly over the base. Arrange the carrot slices on the honey to cover the base of the tin.
- Now gently spoon the above mixture into the tin on top of the carrot slices and bake for 40-45 minutes or till a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the tin, turn it upside down on a serving plate and gently tap the sides till the cake comes out. Drizzle with honey and serve.