Grandma’s princess is glum this morning.
Incarcerated indoors, thanks to the merciless heat of a tyrannical sun, I follow Grandma around the house. Like a pampered pup. Grumbling occasionally at having nothing to do.
Time flies. Afternoon descends on the sleepy hamlet. The sultry sun takes a break. Twilight smothers the day and paints the canvass of the sky in a myriad hues of scarlet and crimson. A breeze from the south soothes the anguished body.
Grandma leads me to her kitchen garden. Gently plucks a leaf off her cherished Gondhoraj lebu plant. Abloom in a quiet corner. Carelessly shreds the leaf. And rubs it vigorously on my palm.
We have played this many many times before. And yet I never tire. I know perfectly well what to do next.
I slowly raise my palm to my nose. Close my eyes. And take a deep breath.
And as always, my olfactory senses break into sublime ecstasy. The intoxicating perfume from the bruised citrus leaf leaves me in an indescribable bliss.
Lebu Lonka Murgi. Chicken in yoghurt and Gondhoraj lebu juice. Some lime leaves thrown in for a further burst of citrus. And green chillies for their wicked heat.
A perfect panacea to calm the heat-tormented palette !!!!
And by the way, if you are as ardent a fan of Gondhoraj Lebu as i am, do check my Gondhoraj Bhekti. Or even my Gondhoraj Chingri !!!
Perfect summer stews as the mercury continues it onslaught northward 🙂
Enjoy my Lebu Lonka Murgi 🙂 !!!
Lebu Lonka Murgi (Chicken with Gondhoraj Lebu and Green Chillies)
- 500 g chicken
- 2/3 cup yogurt
- 10-12 gondhoraj lebu leaves or kaffir lime leaves
- 2-3 roundels gondhoraj lebu
- 1 tbsp juice of gondhoraj lebu
- 6 tbsp onion juice
- 1/2 tbsp ginger juice
- 2-3 tsp green chili paste
- 1-2 tbsp ginger cut into fine juliennes
- 1 tsp garlic finely chopped
- 4-5 green chili slit
- 10-12 black pepper corns
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper powder
- 3 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 tsp honey optional
- salt to taste
- Marinate the chicken pieces with a little salt, lemon juice, onion juice, ginger juice, green chili paste and half of the yoghurt. Refrigerate for 1-2 odd hours.
- Heat oil in a pan, when smoking hot, throw in the black peppercorn and garlic . Saute till light brown.
- Add the marinated chicken (reserve the marinade for the next step), stir over high heat till light brown.
- Add the ginger juliennes, black pepper powder, green chillies, remaining yogurt and the marinade, cook for 4-5 minutes. A touch of honey if needed.
- Add 1/2 a cup of warm water and the lime leaves, continue to cook till the chicken is tender.
- Adjust seasonings. Switch off the flame, throw in the lemon slices, cover and allow to stand for 10 odd minutes.
- Serve with rice.