The Fish Kabiraji Cutlet.
Our indigenous Bhetki. Marinated in onion-ginger-garlic juices. Green chillies if you like the heat. Coriander leaves if you like the perfume. Dipped in an egg wash. Lightly coated with breadcrumbs. Fried to a sinful gorgeous golden. And cocooned lovingly in a delectable egg net.
Inspired by the Coverage Cutlet.
Yet our very own.
This is food heaven !!!
Fish Kabiraji Cutlet (Fish Coverage Cutlet)
- 4 large sized bhetki fillets wash and pat dry
- 1 small onion
- 1 inch ginger roughly chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic smashed
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp black pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs
- breadcrumbs for coating
- oil for frying
For the Egg Net
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 tsp green chilli paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp palin flour
- 2 tsp corn flour
- oil for frying
For the Fish Fry
- Marinate the bhetki fillets with lemon juice, black pepper and salt, keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Blitz the onion, garlic, ginger, green chilies and coriander leaves to a fine paste.
- Add the paste to the fish fillets, coat the fish fillets evenly. Keep aside for at least 3-4 hours, even better overnight.
- Take the plain flour on a flat dish. Roll the marinated fillets lightly on the flour and dust the excess gently. Keep aside.
- Break the eggs in a big bowl, add a generous pinch of salt and pepper, whip well. Keep aside for 10-15minutes.
- Spread the bread crumbs on a flat plate. Add little salt and black pepper powder and give it a hearty mix.
- Take a bhetki fillet, dip in the whipped egg wash and coat it well with the breadcrumbs. Press the crumbed fillet gently to ensure it is coated evenly on all sides. Press ligthly from all the side to straighten it. Shake off any extra crumbs. Keep aside.
- Repeat the process for rest of the fillets.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan, fry one by one till golden. Keep aside on a kitchen towel.
For the Egg Net
- In a bowl, whisk 4 eggs along with the green chilli paste, salt and black pepper. Rest it for 15 minutes.
- Take the cornflour and the plain flour in a bowl. Add 3-4 tbsp of the whipped egg-mix from above. Make a smooth slurry. Add the rest of whipped egg-mix. Give it a hearty stir to form a smooth batter.
- Heat enough oil over medium low flame in a wide-mouth deep frying pan.
- Beat the 5th egg in a bowl and keep aside.
- Now dip your fingers in the egg batter, very carefully sprinkle the egg batter with the tips of your fingers over the oil from one end to the other. Try to keep your fingers staright while sprinkling.
- Repeat the process continuously for a couple of times, till it forms a big egg net (little bigger than your fish fry) on the pan.
- Dip one fish fry in the beaten egg. Gently place it over the one long end of the egg net and roll it over towards the other long end. Also fold the egg net simultaneouly from the two other side ends while rolling.
- Ensure it is uniformly covered by the egg net from all the sides as in the picture. Do the whole process with the help of a spatula or a tongue.
- Cook over for another odd 2-3 minutes over a medium flame till the egg net turns a light brown. Remove from the oil, keep aside over a kitchen absorbent towel.
- Serve immediately with kasundi.