Its been a month and a half since I ventured on this blog journey. A pat on the back for persevering on as statistics indicate that the lethargy of most bloggers doesn’t survive the rather steep hurdle of the first month.
And then as if struck by lightning, I realize that I have not yet written about aloo posto.
A food blog, inspired by Bengali cuisine, without a mention of aloo posto yet !!!!! With the possible exception of those advised by their doctors to stay away from tubers, I have never chanced upon a Bengali who doesn’t enjoy his aloo posto. And my non Bengali friends relish it with as much gusto as my Bengali ones.
And to think of it, nothing possibly is as fuss-free to cook as aloo posto.
Smoking hot mustard oil. A splatter of paanchforan. A generous helping of diced potatoes. Lazy cooking till the potatoes take on a golden brown. And then the show-stopper. The posto paste spiked with green chillies. A dash of turmeric if you like. A few more green chillies if you can take the heat.
And you are done.
And its not just aloo posto that we Bengalis adore. There are a hundred variations but here I try one of my family favorites, dim aloo posto – a pinch of hing, a stab of ginger paste and two gorgeous duck eggs added to the aloo posto. And what an adorable makeover it gets !!!
Dim-alu posto ekakar
- 200 g potatoes , diced
- 2 duck eggs , whipped
- 75 g posto , soaked in warm water and blended into a paste with 2-3 green chillies
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- a pinch of hing
- 2 - 3 green chillies , slit
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp mustard oil
- salt to taste
- Heat oil, temper with hing and add the diced potatoes. Fry till the potatoes take on a golden colour.
- Add ginger paste, throw in a couple of green chillies, cook for 2-3 minutes and then add the posto paste.
- Cook on a moderate flame till the potatoes are tender. If its getting too dry, splash in some water.
- When almost done, add the whipped eggs, give a good stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot. This is not half as much fun if had cold.